[dba-Tech] Microsoft Hyper-V 2012 (was: Latest Linux kernel)

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Wed May 22 16:30:19 CDT 2013

Hi Arthur:

Thanks for the info and observations. I actually like a laptop as I have to,
from time to time, move my entire office to a client site.

I just heard a podcast on something that may interest you as you are using
virtual drives.

Linux and Apple run onto of a multi-tasking and multi-user system and these
systems have a feature called (FreeBSD) Linux Containers. Using a Linux
container is not like a VMS but a sandboxed region in which another OS can
reside. One computer can host dozens (hundreds) of such apparently isolated
images. This method is used with many Cloud based hosting companies as there
is limited resources required and the speed of deployment is far faster.

The downside is that manual initialization and deployment is not a task for
a casual Linux users. Enter a product called Docker, which according to the
documentation, makes the whole process of deploying and managing Linux
containers, easy.

Check out the following link and think download and try out the package:

http://www.docker.io/

You will also be able to view a lot more explanation, documentation and a
video or two. The product is OSS.