[dba-Tech] Has anyone kickstarted?

John W. Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 12:10:35 CDT 2015

A couple of thoughts.

First, a lab analysis is probably much more rigorous and precise than
anything that a device like this could provide.  Although maybe not.

Second, many of the things that you mention are probably not
quantifiable using spectrum analysis.  Things like dissolved O2, E. coli
etc.  Not that those things couldn't be analyzed in some other manner.

Third, there is an entire web site dedicated to this subject, including
analysis of environmental issues.

http://publiclab.org/

I would definitely advise going there to learn more.

Fourth, emergency analysis of specific things might fit very well to a
low cost portable analyzer.  Emergencies often trump absolute precision,
where it is important to get immediate results, even if they are less
than optimal.

I will be playing with this technology over the next few weeks, trying
to discover how well it works, how reliable it can be etc.  I am
personally unhappy with the results I get with the chemical analysis
tool kits for aquarium water (and pool water).  It is just darned
difficult to really decide what I am seeing.  I have high hopes that
having a spectrum analysis and a computer will enable me to get more
"hard facts" rather than "opinion".  The technology is not very
expensive, assuming that I can make it work.

There are a lot of ends to tie up however.  How to calibrate the system
against the various solutions / color scales.  How to physically isolate
the light source, specimen and sensor to avoid light pollution.  And
assuming that those problems can be solved, how to take it further into
automating the preparation of water samples etc.

I think all of that is solvable, but it might need money to pay for
stuff like calibration samples, cad / design / manufacturing of the
machine and so forth.  That is where the KickStarter comes in.

On a different but related note, I am searching for MakerSpaces close to
home.  The closest to me are these:

http://www.forgegreensboro.org/
http://hackerspacecharlotte.org/about-hsc/

So maybe I have to drag my community out of the dark (furniture
industry) ages and start one myself.  My area is trying to bootstrap
itself into technology.  A MakerSpace would help that a lot.

John W. Colby