[dba-Tech] Router issues figured out

Tina N Fields tinanfields at torchlake.com
Sun Aug 30 13:41:58 CDT 2020

Hi All,

Ultimately, there was probably nothing wrong with my NetGear Nighthawk
router. Nor, is there anything wrong with the new ASUS RT-N66R. But,
neither one was willing to connect to the Internet.

Finally, while I was speaking with tech support, I asked to check that
the credentials I was using were still correct - my user name and
password. The tech didn't know what I was talking about. "You know, the
user name and password I have to use to connect to your server," I said.
"Oh, no!" he said, "If it's asking you for a log-in then you  shouldn't
be on a PPPoE setup." "Whoa!" I said, "The first step in the  router
setup is to answer the question 'Does your Internet Service Provider
require a user name and password?' and I answered 'Yes.'"

Well, that's the way my setup was first implemented, when their head
tech came and put it in place, here. But, that was probably ten or 15
years ago. There's been a change - the system now recognizes the MAC
address of the router. When a new router is installed, they have to do
something at their end to recognize it. But, using my credentials was
actually preventing the connection. When I started over with the setup
and answered "No" to the initial question, everything worked. It would
have been nice of them to let me know about the change, but, I realize
that I am one of very few of their customers who set up their own
equipment, so it probably never occurred to anyone to advise me.

I thought you all would like to know how things worked out and what the
teeny-tiny problem really was.

Regards,

Tina Norris Fields
231-322-2787