[dba-Tech] Incompatible Hard Links?

Gary Kjos garykjos at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 17:43:34 CST 2022

Even though this thread pertains to a Western Digital backup there is
still some info in the tread that I believe may apply to your
situation and a solution.  Essentially the "solution" in this case was
to turn off the ONEDRIVE FILES ON DEMAND option so all files are
stored locally in addition to in the cloud.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-backup-onedrive-document-folder-to-windows/a58627f1-2a3c-498e-8a90-3b50b8631d80
-------------------------------------------------------- Here is the
"answer" in that tread....
SOLVED - Had same problem but saw that no one posted the answer.
Although I'm sure many here have found the answer elsewhere, I will
post it for posterity.

To solve this, you need to know 2 things:
#1 - when you do a File History Backup, if a folder is seen as blank,
it is skipped over.
#2 - OneDrive (The program) will either save a hard copy on your
computer, OR save a "virtual file link" in it's place to save you hard
drive space.
Therefore, if you do not have a hard copy in your computer of your
OneDrive cloud files, the backup will interpret that the OneDrive
folder is empty and skip over it.
Solution: Find the OneDrive icon found in right side of the task bar.
Click on it and then click the "menu dots" on the top right. Choose
"Settings" in the menu. A dialogue box will open titled, "Microsoft
OneDrive". Under the Settings tab, and in section "Files On Demand"
you must UN-SELECT the box for "Save space and download files as you
use them". This will allow you to keep a hard copy on your computer
hard drive and thus be able to back it up to an External Hard Drive
using your File History Backup feature within Windows.
Good luck solving your issue. You might try copying the files
individually verses copying the entire Documents folder en mass.

GK