[dba-VB] Recent Discussion from MS on VB.Net and C# in VS 2010

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Tue Mar 16 14:56:52 CDT 2010

Boy, I'm agreeing with Charlotte too! (of course, after I agreed with
Max, he got a little snooty with his posts....)

So just out of curiosity, what can you do in C# that you can't do in
VB.Net and vice versa?  What I have found with VB 6, is that there
really isn't anything you can't do, you just can't do it a certain way.
I have run into one issue a few months ago, where VB was just going to
be WAY to complicated.  Had to do with ftps.  A secured FTP protocol
that uses key encryption.  It's possible to do it in VB, but it's a roll
your own TCP/IP comms using that encryption, where as VB.Net has
libraries to handle it.

But things like inheritance are an internal difference, not an external.
It allows for designing things in a different way, but the end result
can be functionally the same.

But I am curious, since when I have time, I'd like to be delving into
both of these languages....

Drew