[AccessD] OT: Finders fees anyone?

Steven W. Erbach serbach at new.rr.com
Wed Jul 16 08:26:29 CDT 2003

Kath,

>> I am currently paying 10% commission in finders fees. I personally think 15% sounds high. <<

Anything that'll leave more money in my pocket is desirable. As I remember from my selling days most commission plans had a sliding scale based on the size of the sale. We are certainly groping in the dark on this.

>> Initially I had a rate for my *own* clients and a slightly higher one for referred clients (where finder fees were payable), but it was too complicated, and a bit unethical (IMO). <<

I remember reading about a small business (a bookseller, I think) that got in Dutch with the Feds for anti-trust violations because he offered different pricing to different clients without having a price list. I think that every kind of business has to watch out for this.

>> 10% commission on work up to $1000, (eg. maintenance jobs, initial client meetings etc.)
5% on work over $1000. Nothing payable after 2 years. <<

Sounds good to me. Thanks very much.

Regards,

Steve Erbach
Scientific Marketing
Neenah, WI

"Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits." - Mark Twain